The salary of an exotic dancer can be surprising sometimes. In the famous Channel 5’s documentary, ‘The Sex Business: The World’s Largest Strip Club’, it was revealed that strippers in Atlanta’s Magic City made up to $8000 a night. This is just from partying with A-listers such as Lebron Jones, Rihanna, and Kanye West. Crazy figures!
With that in mind, you may then wonder who the highest-paid dancer is, and how much they earn. Well, I may not have the perfect answer for you, but read on to understand why and learn more.
Who Is The Highest Paid Exotic Dancer?
As of 2022, the US has about 3,795 strip clubs with each hosting up to hundreds of exotic dancers. With their earnings being extremely unpredictable and fluctuating on a daily basis, it is hard to pinpoint the highest-paid exotic dancer.
Most strip clubs treat exotic dancers as independent contractors. They do not pay them wages or salaries. The dancers earn tips from entertaining customers. This means to be successful, you’ll have to work very hard and exhibit a professional attitude towards the job, not treating it as a night out.
Your earnings will also depend on the type of club you work at. Girls working at high-end clubs in the big cities tend to earn more than those working in remote areas.
In an interview sometime in 2014, a college student revealed that in a year she earned $180000 from stripping at Scores in New York. In another interview, Kash Doll said she once earned $26k in one night.
With all these said, you may be wondering what it takes to be an exotic dancer…
How To Become An Exotic Dancer:Requirements
You do not require any formal educational qualifications to become a stripper. Research, however, shows that 29% of exotic dancers have a college degree, 17% have a bachelor’s degree, 4.3 % masters, and 0.5% doctorates. Only 11.9% didn’t graduate from high school. Actually, most are doing exotic dancing as part-time gigs while pursuing a degree.
A lot of people have preconceived notions of what it is like to be an exotic dancer. They believe this occupation equates to prostitution. Well, it’s not. In a majority of states in the US, prostitution is a crime and is punishable by law. Most of the clubs in these states are often visited by undercover police.
So, what does an exotic dancer do, if not prostitution?
An exotic dancer’s roles include;
- Drawing in crowds to the club by advertising her services
- Performing pole dance and acrobatics on the stage
- Giving individual lap dances for a fee
- Striptease performances at private parties
- Hanging out with customers to entice them for private sessions and repeat visits.
Things You Will Need To Start Exotic Dancing
- License: Different states have different regulations for exotic dancing. Some may need you to have a license for an adult entertainer while others may not. Licenses also vary in costs depending on the area. So before taking up that job, ensure you look at the legalities of that area.
- Dancing Skills: An exotic dancer entertains largely by dancing. You’ll therefore need some dancing skills. You can sign up for basic pole or exotic dancing class at your local studio. Alternatively, if you are a fast learner, you can learn on the job.
- Shoes: You will need a pair of heels for this job. Not the nice ‘grandma’ heels you wear to church, but those very high platform stilettos you see in porn movies. You can start with a 4-inch as you get better at stability.
Heels make your booty pop, legs thinner and tummy flatter, creating that perfect stripper image. Many online stores offer affordable stripper heels, just get on your computer and search it up.
- Clothes: The type of outfit you’ll wear will depend largely on the laws of your local area and the norms of the club. But generally, a strippers costume can be anything from a bikini, a revealing gown to sexy lingerie.
You will need to check out your area’s and club’s regulations, then choose your outfit accordingly. Don’t worry about the cost, you will have even more money after your first night to create a wardrobe.
- Accessories: You will need a purse to hold your money. You’ll also need to put on sparkly jewelery and makeup to look expensive. Many strippers go for hair extensions and colored hairs.
Choose accessories that fit your personality. Also, consider having toiletries such as wipes for the bathroom and hand sanitizers. Money is great but dirty.
- Auditions: After you’ve got all these things together, contact the club you want and ask for an appointment to audition. Some clubs will schedule a day to audition multiple prospective dancers while others will just allow you to walk in anytime and audition.
Either way, make sure you get there on time and do your best. If you don’t get employed, there is always a next time. Just don’t stop trying.
- Advertising: When you get hired and become good in your craft, start advertising your services. As you mingle with customers, market your services to earn invitations to work at private events. Also, get your own website and make yourself popular.
Mention the club you work at, so they come to see and tip you. Have business cards that you’ll be giving to prospective customers whenever you meet them. It’s also crucial to learn some business and marketing skills because exotic dancing is not just a lifestyle, it’s a business.
Key Points to Take Home…
- Exotic dancing is a job like any other where your hard work determines your pay.
- In this job, you earn tips that fluctuate on a day-to-day basis depending on a variety of factors.
- Exotic dancing is not prostitution. It is about entertaining customers.
- Among other things, you will need to audition for the job.
For more quality content like this, be sure to check out the Pole Model Youtube Channel!
See you there 🙂